Ramblings, opinions, and general meanderings from the Deep South

Sunday, October 19, 2003

Great Google Moogle!

Windows Critical Updates, how is this done? - asks Terry from Ingmar. Go to Start (bottom left corner of screen) left click, scroll up to Windows Update, left click, let the page open (btw you have to be on the internet) any window that pops open say yes to it (don't tell Microsoft you trust them - don't check the box), click the SCAN button, and download the critical updates. Since there has been a problem downloading SP4 (service pack 4) in Windows 2000 I advise downloading 1, or 2, or 3 then 4 instead of downloading SP4 and bypassing the first ones even though they tell you you can do this. Also, if you click an update that is starred/asterisked, it has to download by itself. Let it, then come back and do the rest (there are several of these starred downloads). If you are using a dialup modem these updates will take time and your machine will slow to a crawl if you do not have a lotta' RAM. Sorry, but don' let this stop you from getting your PC up to date! Now this is really important - restart the machine every time it tells you to restart. Do I need to repeat? Okay. If you try to stick more downloads in there without restarting you WILL have problems. There are other downloads too. Read the "more" about these to see if you really need them. Also make sure you PC has the minimum specifications to utilize the download. For instance, my lowly 200mmx does not need the new media player stuff because it's not fast enough to use it. Google search about Windows Critical Updates and read about it. I endorse these updates because of security issues and security issues only. My healthy paranoia always makes me a bit skeptical of the Microsoft bunch. I still somewhat dislike XP because of that authorization junk . If you run a spybot or spy sweeper type program it will amaze you as to how many Microsoft based utilities are trying to report things behind the scenes. Right big brotherish. FYI, Linux Red Hat does not do such things.

The anonymous emailer strikes again. Yes, I do recommend products made by people I know. Let's see ... my page, my thoughts, my right to say what I want to say. The Seat Company is way kewl. When going there I usually stop at the West End Deli and eat some awesome food with the Parker gang. Don't come to this house bringing other than Earthgrains/Colonial Bread products. My good friend David manages this area for them. No case mods here unless Red Dragon does them. If I ever have another cat it will be a Norwegian Forest Cat because Ubertech Jim raises them. If you can't use Thomas Electronics I recommend Red Magnet - my daughter works for them. I consult Chyna Moon on web development. Corinth Chris is the tech that should work on your machine in Alcorn County and surrounding areas. Google Rocks! This can go on and on. Yes, I do recommend people I know that are good at their respective fields. I also will tell you what I think of things I don't like, like that overpriced/slowass apple computer you are probably using to try and harass me. Also, anonymous - I do reply to all emails, one way or another.

Wow, the weather is just awesome. With the help of Nyquil, Dayquil, Aleve Sinus, etc. I am feeling better. Got to go hit the bricks again today. At least I am not too dizzy to drive. Be grateful to God and someone today. It'll help. And laugh about something. It'll help.

"Some things Man was never meant to know. For everything else, there's Google."
- Billy Wobblynife

No comments: