Ramblings, opinions, and general meanderings from the Deep South

Friday, October 19, 2007

TGIF, Only Two More Damn Days to Work This Week


This has been a frightful week. Rebuilding the beach house gaming machine found me trying to use a motherboard that wouldn't see the CPU. It's an Opteron and if I had only read Gigabyte's manual (83 pages I had to print out) where it states in plain English 'will NOT work with Opteron CPUs' then I'd have saved 2 agonizing days. Somewhere in the rebuild one of my XFX video cards laid down again. Even though they are nice people I won't buy their products again and care nothing about wrangling with them concerning the possible replacement of this one. Neither of these motherboards will ever be configured SLI again. The Gigabyte board may just go in the trash. No need to take a chance.

It's time to return to the solid product lines I've used down through the years. The new motherboard will be an Asus and the video cards will probably be Asus, BFG or EVGA. No matter how you look at it this computer configuration has only run SLI for less than a month. That sucks, especially when the 2 video cards cost more than most computers. BTW comments are really not needed about these problems. I still like Gigabyte, but need a break from this particular board. Also, if anyone has a legal copy of XP for sale let me know. Don't want to sell my copy of Vista, but every time it boots up something else is wrong. If you like it fine. Yes, I know it will be a good OS eventually. In the meantime, leave me the hell alone about it for a few days.

Enough whining, Back to bed.

"When angry, count four; when very angry, swear."
~Mark Twain, Pudd'nhead Wilson, 1894

EDIT: There is nothing wrong with the Gigabyte board. It will work fine with an Athlon 64 chip I have at the beach house. Frustration was weighing on me and lack of sleep didn't help when making thus post originally. Vista is still doing quirky things, but it seems to be stabilizing.

No comments: