Ramblings, opinions, and general meanderings from the Deep South

Sunday, September 21, 2003

Good Golly!

Miss Molly emailed and wanted to know about me and my locale. Info was posted with first entry, but most folks don't read archives. Okay, here goes again (this is ego fodder of some weird sort , huh?)

Middle-aged dude hoping to live out a life of immaturity halted by sudden death. Our family has roots in Tishomingo County which is the northeast corner of Mississippi. My Mother, brother Dan and his family now live in Walls, Mississippi, which is just south of Memphis, Tennessee. My Father passed away in '98 and I miss him very much. Happily divorced for 12 years. I am an IT/IS person for a local company that has over 300 active clients. My home is humble and comfortable for a single man. Grow plants, palms, ferns, etc. Drive a lead sled (79 el camino) that is constantly improving. I have four computers networked and about to add a fifth. Run most flavors of windows, Linux Red Hat and tomorrow the BSD machine will come to life. I think Apple computers are slow, WAY overpriced and Steve Jobs is possibly the antichrist. My 'leanings' are Pentium processors, dual processor machines, SCSI drives, whole lotta RAM, anything wireless, and integration of the home network with the home theater system. My uber hammock is a favorite thing and grilling out is way kewl. Am a "retired hippie and rascal," now rejoicing in the fact that the Good Lord has seen fit for me to hang around and watch my two wonderful daughters make positive steps in their respective journeys. Parrotheads rock. Seen Buffett 3 times and the last one was best because I stayed sober n left my coconut bra and grass skirt at home. If you don't like Jimmy Buffett's music here's hoping those 'melon' therapy sessions will help. Am a Mississippian and will tolerate most folks, even those from elsewhere. Talk down to me or 'dis' my family or friends and you might end up on the wrong end of an ass-kicking. I despise rude, crude, self-centered people. Control freaks are downright pitiful, but still tend to piss me off. People that thrive on their personal problems and don't correct them deserve all that misery. Gun control is a good program for outright fools. Liberals suck and terrorists should be gut shot on sight.

Saltillo is a small town 8 miles north of Tupelo. It's quiet and peaceful. A huge shopping area that abounds with restaurants, specialty stores, Wally World, and so on is between Saltillo and Tupelo. We've a new movie house that is awesome. Tupelo has a large Auto Museum, Elvis's birthplace, the T-Rex Hockey team and the Fire Ants Arena Football team. Many lakes are in this area and watersports thrive. The terrain is rolling hills that are covered with forests and farms. The Natchez Trace may be the most beautiful road on the planet and it is headquartered in Tupelo. Furniture is the major industry and the population of Lee County quadruples during the daytime. We are 89 miles southeast of Memphis, TN, 140 miles northwest of Birmingham, AL and 160 miles south of Nashville, TN. It is very hot during the summer made more miserable by high humidity and the winters are mild. We've mosquitoes that may have delivered freight for Fed Ex at one time. There are huge snakes of the cottonmouth, copperhead, rattler varieties living in the forests covering the rolling hills. Wildlife can be seen everywhere! And I absolutely love it all.

That's enough self-indulging spin for two lifetimes. Molly, do you have a blue dress?

"Not too skinny, she's not too fat, she's a real humdinger and I like it like that..."
William Levise, Jr. (aka Mitch Ryder)


No comments: