Ramblings, opinions, and general meanderings from the Deep South

Thursday, September 18, 2003

Get thee out, growling grinch!

Hey, even if your not a geek, dweeb, nerd - you need to read this post! The whole thing. Now do it! N don't forget the day's quote.

Since it has been requested by several people, the SpyBot link is posted. As always, download at your own risk. Don't come here whining and wimpering if you mess something up. This program is one of my all time favorites and it is powerful. Be careful. Read how to use it before changing any settings. Remember, Kolla (the author) is German and they are a most efficient people. This program has very little clutter and really nails stuff. It can hurt ya if you use it stupidly. Now on to the real matters at hand...

Went to bed working on a machine, dreamed about working on a machine and woke up an hour ago to work on the machine. My pseudo-geekness is literally overwhelming me. Have to be my 'happyboy' self all day long, then go to second job remaining 'happyboy', and work late into the night only to arise and repeat.

The machine that's on the bench had 570 infected files with W95/Spaces and various other infections. This nasty infects on June 1st every year and wreaks havoc with the boot sector eventually making start up impossible. It was booting when I found the virus infection!!! Methinks it had booted its last. AVG was installed sometime ago and there were no updates so it practically ate AVG. After spending two nights and many hours prowling the web trying to find a way to put AVG back on, use a removal tool and so forth, I decided to install Windows 2000 along with the existing remnants of Windows 98SE. Understand, I could have placed it on the network and scanned, but the virus definition was not absolute. This machine had to remain off any network until more was known. So, I opted for dual boot with 2 Windows OS's. AVG installed on 2000 with no problem and proceeded to tell the tale. As I sat there watching the red letter definitions ever increase I thought about how much time I had spent on this problem and how there is no way I can charge for my time (they could actually go and buy a new PC for less money!). Most techs would have said, "Sorry, the data cannot be recovered." Same techtypes might have growled around about updates, yada yada. So get ready and hold on to your hats girls n' boys, here's the conclusion of this post and it's a two paragrapher!

These clients are nice people. They have trusted my judgement for a long time. Anytime problems arise they call me. Payment is like clockwork and I am consulted about things techno. Okay, this computer is one of three and virus updates didn't get done. Upon arriving I checked the other two and the virus definitions were up to date. This computer is upstairs and not used a lot. Stuff happens. The needed data is time volatile so an effort is being made to correct an oversight. Hopefully I can kill a couple of chickens over it and say some deep tech-babble spell and it'll revive. Or I can grab the data and put it elsewhere. Who knows? The sun is not up yet and a lot can transpire. Am copying cab files on the machine now and needed a break. This one has been a nightmare.

Why ramble on about said problem? It's real simple folks. Be nice! Be well mannered, damn it! Understand that techs, even the grouchy types, spend a lot of time resolving problems. If you want to push my buttons, say something about 'how long it is taking'. If time is that important to you, pay extra! My pseudo-geekness has not yet been cloned and my cybervoodoo capabilities have not reached inhuman capacities. I have 24 hours a day just like everyone else. A smile and occasional "attaboy" goes a long way in most walks of life. Of course there is the grinch factor that will never appreciate anything. Thank God they are a minority. Don't tell them that though, they'll hiss at you.

"No pessimist ever discovered the secret of the stars, or sailed to an uncharted land, or opened a new doorway for the human spirit."
-Helen Keller

No comments: