Ramblings, opinions, and general meanderings from the Deep South

Wednesday, June 11, 2003

The frogs and catfish are back. I can hear their grumblings outside my window. They really want in out of the rain. We've just had about 2 inches of rain and it looks like that much more before the sun rises. Flash flood warnings adorn all the local TV channels. We dread it now, but will be wishing for it in August. Cable has been out. I will give them credit, their signal rarely fails. It's been out 4 hours, so no internet access. Not having TV is ok, but no internet access had me in a cyber-fetal position. Feel better now. When I signed on a few minutes ago I immediately googled several things and my circulation improved.

Ever wonder how fast your internet connection is really moving? The following site will tell you. Just copy the link and paste it into the address bar, then hit enter. When the results show up your speed will be listed at the top of the multicolored column to the right of the page. Hold down the control key and click refresh at the top of your browser to re-run the test.

http://www.aluriasoftware.com/drspeed/index.html

Be sure and visit the home page. There is some interesting software here. Ignore the McAfee ad. They (McAfee) have the worst anti-virus program in the solar system and their customer support ranks right down there with Corel and AOL. There should be laws against such hoodlums.

Still looking for that high speed connection? This site has an ulterior motive (shhhhh! don't tell anyone, but they want to sell you something).

http://www.everythingdsl.com/

Maw bell has an availability thangy too that will tell you if they are in your dialing area. That's enough publicity for one of the most hateful, ungrateful companies on earth. Look up the URL, I won't list it here; sorta like smearing doo doo on your site. On the other hand Dixie-net serves Mississippi and surrounding areas and has a program that tests your DSL capability.

http://www.dixie-net.com

They have an awesome customer service department that is open 24/7. If you want the number of their nicest, most helpful rep, email me and I'll tell you where to get in touch with her. I endorse them because of their efforts to help people get online, especially newbies. The web site quality reflects such efforts. Nice ISP that has definitely endured growing pains and still survives.

I have not been flamed lately. Probably due to my not posting on a regular basis. Let me try something - Apple computers are overpriced and sluggish - RIAA really sucks and needs total annihilation - Liberals need to actually move their residences to Mars since their heads have already made the trip - and the Liberals need to take the French with them. Now I can get back to holding off the catfish/frog gang beating on my door.


No comments: