Ramblings, opinions, and general meanderings from the Deep South

Wednesday, February 03, 2010

568A or 568B?

Let's talk about software and hardware. These are two COMPLETELY different worlds. By virtue of the fact that I am trained in the assembly of servers (most use some version of Windows Server software), how to network a TCP/IP Dynamic or Static protocol, assembly of client workstations and the repair of them - this means I am a hardware person. If I could retain all knowledge about operating systems, applications and proprietary software my office would be in Redmond, Washington. The campus of my facility would be larger than that of Microsoft. In plain words no one can know all forms of software. Nor hardware.

Yet, I am a hardware person. I build good machines. They last. Most problems that arise are due to UIC (user in chair). With the advent of reasonable prices from retailers and online suppliers my computer building is limited to servers and higher end gaming machines. Being a hardware person since before Bill Gates ever dreamed of Windows, I have seen a lot of changes down through the past few decades. There is one consistent through all this time. Software people really know nothing about hardware and always try to find fault with equipment instead of admitting their mistakes. There, I said it. Some of them are downright liars. Some go off into the purple haze and will say anything to their clients. A good 95% of software people have horrible attitudes and no respect for their customers.

Ask me a question to which I haven't an answer and I will tell you just that. I don't know the answer. But...I'll do my best to find you an answer. As long as you're polite to me you will be afforded the same in return. If I tell you that something is fact you can take it to the bank. No need to be wishy-washy. If I wanted to be that way the software industry is always calling. I refuse to work at a business that uses more than one network technical firm. Tech companies have different attitudes and many of them work well. There are many approaches to getting the job done not just one.

So the next time you talk to a software geek and a hardware nerd, you'll stand a much better chance of hearing the truth from the latter. Oh yes, the title. 568B is the industry standard for attaching a RJ45 connector to a CAT5 or 6 network cable. 568A is the second alternative. It has to do with how you arrange the 8 wires according to color. Next time you speak to a "mighty" software demi-god ask him to explain the difference. Betcha the hardware person knows!

Now I must finish a server assembly and read up on the PC-BSD operating system. This is my opinion and I am stickin' to it. Hope this helps.

"Every path hath a puddle."
~George Herbert

2 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Dock said...

I removed the comment since it was spam. Am working on a way to catch these jerks and report them. Don't they realize people go to prison for these ridiculous intrusions?