Ramblings, opinions, and general meanderings from the Deep South

Sunday, June 07, 2009

The Wallyworld Trip

Yesterday's Walmart Safari was survived. After parking halfway down an inner lane in the parking lot (the exercise is needed) I approached the main doors. While passing by a young man returning shopping carts to the store he spoke to me. "How are you, sir?" It almost scared me. Earlier the decision was made not to take anti-anxiety medication and be brave. After composing myself I replied, "Fine sir, and you?" He smiled and said, "It's great to be outside on this beautiful day." I continued on into the store holding the door for a couple carrying small infants. No politeness here. They seemed very unhappy and rushed in without a word. I stood just inside the entrance glad to see they turned left. A right turn headed me towards the pharmacy. Down the aisle I met a middle aged lady that had her head in the stratosphere or was doing heavy drugs. Literally I had to step into an side corridor to avoid being run down by a cart. Slightly shaken I looked up and spotted them. The evil children were not partaking of their evening meal as previously hoped.

The toy section is very close to the pharmacy. To me that just doesn't make sense. Seems the very back of the store or on the OTHER side of the gardening supplies would be a better location. After watching for several seconds they went absolutely berserk. They started screaming, yelling, growling, snarling, fighting with toy swords taken from the rack and they certainly had not been rung up at the checkout. My paranoia made me turn and go down the corridor and come out the back way to the window at the pharmacy. The pretty young woman that waited on me had trouble finding my order. I inquired if there was a problem. She said, "Oh no sir. We put the larger orders in a different place." She retrieved my life sustaining package, I paid, said thank you and Hotty Toddy. She answered the same smiling. The Ole Miss shirt sorta' gave her college allegiance away. Turning around the toy section was scouted, then a quick paced jaunt down the main aisle quickly put me close the exit. As I passed by the huge checkout line I spied the evil sword fighting beasties screaming, yelling, crying with their parents ignoring them. I also noticed they did not have toy swords in the cart.

All in all, a pleasant safe visit. But here's a warning: If you go to buy a toy sword at Walmart be sure and check for wear and tear. It was so nice to arrive home without any wounds, bite marks, broken limbs, deep gashes made by plastic swords, etc.

"What a child doesn't receive he can seldom later give."
~James

No comments: