Ramblings, opinions, and general meanderings from the Deep South

Sunday, June 28, 2009

Advice Needed

Recently I worked on a computer that had video problems. It is a small form factor that is meant to take up less space on the desk top. The resident video card is a 128mb and proprietary due to the need for a narrow card. The client was warned beforehand that the video card might not be all the problem. They had to make the decision since the price from HP for the video card was extremely high. It was on my bench for 48 hours after installation of the new card and removal of malware. There were no glitches or errors. When it left the shop it worked perfectly. It failed within a week.

Okay, I know the first video card was bad. The fan would not even spin. The card is located at the bottom of the machine which sits maybe 1/8" off the desk or less. Rubber supports were installed to raise it to a substantial height to increase air flow. The operating system is Vista Home Premium and while on the bench updates were installed. Many hours of research were put into this project since I was trying to avoid the high price that Hewlett Packard wanted for this 128mb card. Finding the location to purchase the card on HP's site was VERY frustrating.

Then I get an email Friday from someone I don't know recommending a card found on a website for much less money. To start with the card is being sold by Tiger-Direct and I have had problems in the past with them and choose not to do business with this company. Then there is the replacement card recommended. Anyone ever heard of Galaxy video cards? I'm not putting them down, but being a gamer I have researched many, many video cards and just have not run across this manufacturer. The next problem is the size of the card. It's a 512mb card. That's great, but we have to realize that one of the smallest power supplies used in desktop computers will be powering it. Maybe the two work well together, I don't know. It's not gonna' happen at the beach house. On top of all this the 512mb card has a very small fan. Once again the small, narrow size creates limitations. The heat sink on the graphics chip in the picture shown looks nominal at best. Use the DVI connector as a point of reference and you'll realize the small size of the heat sink and fan.

This scares me. My plan is to refund what little money was paid and let the customer take it to this tech that's recommending the card or return it to Hewlett Packard for repair. Even though a warning was given on the front end that the video card might not be the only problem, I do not want to get involved in a situation where a tech I don't know is recommending the above "fix." If I need help there is a number of friends in the business that I know and trust. It's my suspicion that the present video card in the machine is good and the problem is elsewhere. It is just not presenting stable output to the monitor. Or is the monitor bad? Who knows?

Try not to purchase a small form factor computer. I was consulted about the hardware makeup, but the case was never discussed. You can bet there would have been a veto if it had been mentioned. You need the larger case to utilize aftermarket parts which many times are far superior to the original parts. Also, the size of a power supply has become critical in today's machines. The latest operating systems demand more advanced hardware therefore ample power is important. I am betting there is NO upgrade for this machine's small power supply. Also, air cooling needs space for circulation. Desktop PC form factor is quite different from a laptop. This is a predicament that has me thinking that the machine should be sent back to HP or replaced. The first words out of my mouth when consulted was, "Replace it." "That's too expensive," was the answer. I don't think so.

Besides, the tech recommending this may be far more knowledgeable about such things and may be a good choice. I have never heard of him and he is in Memphis, a place I try to avoid at all costs. But the tech seems like he is trying to help. It's sad to see this problem. I think Hewlett Packard is a great company, but they are asking a ridiculous price for this particular video card. Is my attitude proper? I am seeking help and/or verification. Please comment.

"Loyalty is still the same, whether it win or lose the game; true as a dial to the sun, although it be not shined upon."
~Samuel Butler

EDIT: After further research the Galaxy card is low profile only, not narrow. That's the reason for the small heat sink and fan. So this card will not fit because of width. Hmmmmmm, back to the factory I think.

EDIT2: After a very good conversation with the client the computer is going back to HP. I feel better.

No comments: