Ramblings, opinions, and general meanderings from the Deep South

Sunday, January 13, 2008

Current Situation


The Teamspeak server is still out of commission. It may not return to service for quite some time and may be out of service forever. There appears to be more problems than first suspected. If the recent take on the situation proves to be true thousands of dollars and many man hours will be scrapped. This is just another negative hit in this horrible year. Yesterday and this past night were spent trying to repair the problems and no, I don't need any help. This machine has served this network for many years and my feelings about it are like losing an old friend.

Everyone make arrangements to find other outlets for their TS needs. Please don't bother me about this matter. I've an extensive tech library concerning networking and various aspects of machines. Many years of experience are also at work and may help me recover this unit. With the exception of BlackViper, who has used similar servers with the same configuration and the same dual processor Asus motherboards, I've probably read more about this piece of equipment than anyone. Techs can be uppity and know it all and you really don't want to do that with me right now.

The ear ache that has developed over the past 3 days has my tinnitus at max volume (sounds like a million locusts inside my head) and besides not feeling tip top my nerves are frayed. I am even considering stopping my Guild Wars participation permanently. Again, missing that doctor's appointment yesterday was NOT a good thing. Anyway, will keep my fellow guild members and allies abreast of the situation. If it comes to this end, I will definitely choose a successor as Guild Leader. Please don't bother me about this either. The new leader has been chosen if I step down.

Got to try and rest. This ringing in my ears and the soreness makes sleep very uncomfortable. Of course the infected ear is the right one and that's the side on which I sleep. Damn a bunch of mortars and grenades going off in Vietnam, lol.

"When Mozart was composing at the end of the eighteenth century, the city of Vienna was so quiet that fire alarms could be given verbally, by a shouting watchman mounted on top of St. Stefan's Cathedral. In twentieth-century society, the noise level is such that it keeps knocking our bodies out of tune and out of their natural rhythms. This ever-increasing assault of sound upon our ears, minds, and bodies adds to the stress load of civilized beings trying to live in a highly complex environment."
~Steven Halpern

NOTE: K, I am having a rough time and maybe my venting here has been too harsh. As said before losing this server is like losing an old friend. I've never been more proud of a machine when the build was finished 5 or 6 years ago. It is proof that quality is not expensive, it's priceless. How well it has served us down through the years. Ashby and I have our heads together on a kick ass replacement and we'll try to incorporate it in the beach house network soon.

Folks, if you'll take a look here, you'll find many notable people suffer from this ear ringing malady. Steve Martin's comment that "you just get used to it" is not necessarily true. With the ear infection the ringing has amplified and it is hard on one's nerves. Mine, anyway. Please bear in mind this condition has existed ever since my last "tour" of Vietnam. I find Bill Shatner's comments interesting. This is not much of an apology, but I'll close by saying efforts are being made to do better. Peace out!

No comments: