Ramblings, opinions, and general meanderings from the Deep South

Wednesday, January 27, 2010

What Would Captain Jack Sparrow Think?

People occasionally ask about "ripping" DVDs. WikiHow has a way to do it in 4 steps. The legality of performing this action is questionable at best. When a dvd is purchased and finds its place on the shelf at the beach house it gives me a feeling of ownership. Certainly it's a good idea to copy the valuable data and store the original to keep it pristine. This is my humble opinion and I'll leave it at that for now.

Then there is the matter of "burning" DVDs. There is another good article at WikiHow. Again there are legal issues that may concern some people. Again it is my humble opinion that if I am making frontline backups in order to preserve original data it seems a very sane thing. After all they remain in my house and I don't sell them for profit. You'll have to decide this issue.

By no means am I encouraging piracy. The questions have been asked and these are some answers. Make your decision. If anyone has recommendations please use the comments. Hope this helps.

"We have two kinds of morality side by side: one which we preach but do not practice and another which we practice but seldom preach."
~Bertrand Russell

1 comment:

Ashy said...

If it is SO wrong how come whenever I put a music cd in my drive media center adds it to the library and starts ripping it if it is not already there?