Ramblings, opinions, and general meanderings from the Deep South

Thursday, September 11, 2008

The World Is Not the Same

I am alone. And very very sad. Out of all my Vietnam friends that stayed in touch down through the years Myles K. Magness was the next to last to survive. Now there is one - me. Myles and I spent an afternoon together a month or so ago and he was in tremendous spirits. He was laughing and we talked about the future. He was looking forward to a retirement consisting of a very well planned life of leisure. He was a hard worker all his life. He had recently retired from FedEx and counted Fred Smith as a personal friend. He is survived by his wonderful wife, Deb. Let me say something my friends; if every wife could be like Deb the world would be a far far better place. She has the right stuff.

Myles stayed in touch ever since our return from the land of purple haze and agent orange. Our conversations were upbeat most of the time and there was a lot of laughing. He was so in love with Deb. This I admired so much. Two wonderful people traveling through life and being a real couple. True love. Gosh it was a joy and a privilege to see them together. It breaks my heart that I cannot be in West Texas to at least offer aid and support. She never complained about Myles habit of reading constantly. His level of intelligence was off the scale. I have been influenced by his massive knowledge and strength of character. He had no enemies. This can go on and on.

Must go finish the shedding of tears and experience the inevitable grief. He will be missed by so many people. Thank the Good Lord he passed away in his sleep. I know he was at peace. Prayers out for Deb and everyone whose life he has touched. I loved him like a brother. Still do.

"The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man who lives fully is prepared to die at any time."
~Mark Twain

No comments: