Ramblings, opinions, and general meanderings from the Deep South

Tuesday, September 09, 2008

A Decision

A bittersweet decision was made earlier today. I have pounded my head against a workbench trying to recover a large inventory data file with negative results. In the middle of preparing a synopsis of the situation to send to a company located in Florida, to see if they would try an intense attempt at data recovery, a phone call was received. It was the client saying that further pursuit was not necessary. Seems their inventory was essentially out of date and needed to be reworked. Since we had a circa 1999 DOS program (it was updated in 2002) running on an XP network the decision to upgrade the software was made over a month ago. In all honesty my hope of another company being able to resolve the problem was minimal at best. The files were just too corrupt.

This is a typical case of why tape drive backups should be outlawed. The backup tape was the reason that the data went into such a deep state of chaos. Why did it happen? Only God knows? Been enough prayer about it. This is good news because I can finally stop an effort to achieve the impossible. Yet it's sad because these are nice folks and I wanted so to make the transition to new software somewhat more livable. Failure is hard to accept. I am disappointed with my attempts...especially the results.

Tomorrow I hope to change the mood of the site and find more interesting things to post. I am in the middle of trying to find out why a server is crashing and it's eating my lunch. K, enough. Back to that project, Let's hope tomorrow finds the usual happy, happy, joy, joy returned to the beach house.

"How many legs does a dog have if you call the tail a leg? Four. Calling a tail a leg doesn't make it a leg."
~Abraham Lincoln

No comments: