Ramblings, opinions, and general meanderings from the Deep South

Tuesday, July 15, 2003

Thanks to everyone for the concern. Grief is a hard to control emotion. I posted the last entries in the middle of the night and did not proof them. Almost seems like a negative person snuck in and posted. Well, it was me. I am re-filling the half-full glass.

"Can you build me a computer?" - a frequent interrogative. Will I? Now there's the question. If you are looking for high performance no holds barred machine, have money and patience, promise not to torture the machine, will sign an agreement to defrag/do the proper updates/feed it properly, the answer might be yes (evil grin to be inserted here). I have to live with it and the "input" it will receive for a warranty period. Therefore, I will only use what I consider the best components and they will be more expensive. So where can you get the most bang for the buck? There are several manufacturers building linear architecture machines. Dell, in my opinion, is not a good choice. They still make 'big iron' stuff that is good, but their entry level leaves a lot to be desired. Dell's worst crime is bragging about their support. Have you ever gone to their web page and tried to find drivers? Yuck! Worst support page on the planet. Gateway is okay and IBM still makes super machines but get out yo' wallet, you will pay. Hewlett-Packard is my choice. My server is an old dual processor HP machine as is my Linux machine. They usually have great systems at good prices. You can find them at Circuit City, Wal-Mart, Sam's, Staples. etc. Their support page is the best on the planet and they will ship a replacement unit if you have problems while it is under warranty. They have Pentium 4/Celeron units and AMD machines too. I have all Pentium machines, but AMD makes good stuff. That's a topic that will be approached at a later time. One model line even offers Linux as an alternative operating system. Hewlett-Packard has been around a long time. There's a link posted.

No comments: