Ramblings, opinions, and general meanderings from the Deep South

Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Sanford -Towsend Band - Smoke From A Distant Fire. This is the Epitome of Great Rock n Roll

This rocks! Okay, maybe we need a little more information. Sanford-Townsend Band didn't stick around long. The album that contains this song does not have a bad song on it. Keep in mind this was 1977. The engineering is 110% for a live performance during that time period. And the musicians are absolutely awesome. They have it all. Kickass horn player, Sanford is playing a for-real Hammond B3 organ with a Leslie spinning its ass off, the guitar player rocks, the bass player is spot on, the lead singer, John Townsend, is super especially with that sustained last note. The harmonies are incredible. The drummer syncs a perfect beat. Turn up your speakers, put on the headphones, damn it all, get up and dance! This is great, great rock n roll.




Be sure and watch the lead singer. During that era my hair was that long and I was that skinny. I played music for a living while in college and wish I'd stuck with it. But a purple haze came along, well, it actually followed me home from Vietnam. That fog didn't lift for many years. I thank God for seeing my sorry butt through all that goofiness. My Mother says I had a long climb up Fool's Hill.

"Without MUSIC to decorate it, time is just a bunch of boring production deadlines or dates by which bills must be paid."
~Frank Zappa

No comments: