Ramblings, opinions, and general meanderings from the Deep South

Thursday, May 21, 2009

Laptops, Some Truths and Some Lies

Lusting over notebooks at the beach house. Dreams unreachable give me hope and the desire to strive towards monetary reward. Of course I won't even consider anything but a Toshiba. Got my eye on one that is loaded with a discrete 1GB graphics card. Now there's a LAN Party Machine! Also researching MacBooks for some of my friends. Right now the only way to go is MacBook Pro. Either the 15" or 17" seem okay. One nice thing about the 15" is it does have a removable battery. Apple is due to make some major changes, but they aren't scheduled to show up until sometime in the fall of this year. They all come with only 512MB of RAM and that really sucks. I wouldn't have one of those silly Airbooks if they gave it to me. Please my fellow Windows Nazis, don't diss me about checking on Apple. This unit is going overseas and is required by the learning institution that will be attended. For the same money spent for an Apple I can build a gaming machine that will knock your socks off. But, to each his or her own...

The commercials about Macs not getting virus infections tickle me. Believe me, you better have some type of virus protection on any Apple or you're asking for trouble. Hey, not a bad idea to run an anti-virus program on a Linux machine either. The situation with hacking, stealing information, malware of all kinds has hit an all time high. Protect your machine and especially protect your network. The time has come that everyone should consider hardware firewalls if they are running server client networks. More on that later. Oh yes, poorly maintained Macs also have a crash rate not too far behind a poorly maintained PC. Their TV ads are VERY misleading.

Memorial Day weekend is almost here. Hang in there folks. This time tomorrow you'll be daydreaming of the lake, the pool, the patio, the grill, etc. I will probably daydream about repairing the riding mower, lol.

“Great liars are also great magicians.
~Adolf Hitler

No comments: