Ramblings, opinions, and general meanderings from the Deep South

Monday, October 27, 2008

Selfish Exclusion of Lighting?

Halloween is Friday. No one has extended a party invitation, thank goodness. Not a complaint at all. Never have liked crowds and just not a big Halloween supporter. If I went to a party I'd try to find the mask pictured. To wear, I mean. Kewl, huh?

Holidays for me are Memorial Day, 4th of July and Labor Day. These are fun days that involve cooking on the grill and enjoying American traditions like ribs, hamburgers, hot dogs, potato salad and barbeque beans. Also like the food at Thanksgiving, but there's something foreboding about Turkey Day. I think it is keyed by the Black Friday of shopping for the Christmas Holiday season.

Christmas is so commercial. Do you remember it celebrates the birth of Jesus? Do your children know about the manger and wise men? If you want to read about one of those other holidays that occur around the same time, by all means, have at it. It just happens that I celebrate Christmas because I am Christian. And something I am not concerned about is being politically correct. Anyway, back to Halloween.

The beach house does not get into it. Spooks, ghosts and ghouls don't bother me. Shucks, I play a character name Maskull Tor, Necromancer Prime in Guild Wars. It's great fun to be a Dark Lord that is a member of the good side of the force. Classic horror movies are fun too. Especially love them if they are in black and white. Young Frankenstein is my fav horror flick for sure! Also one of the fav beach house comedies! No tongue, please! The Dracula and Boris Karloff Frankenstein movies are wayyy kewl. I've read several Stephen King books and a few by Ann Rice. So there is no fear of the supernatural that surrounds the beach house.

On the 31st of October I usually turn off all lights, remove all articles from the veranda that can be stolen and open the windows so I can hear any pranks that might occur. Tried putting out a large bowl of candy one year with a sign that said 'take just a few pieces' and watched through the window as the first "goblin" dumped the bowl in his trick-or-treat bag. When he discovered that he'd run out of room (the sack was overflowing) he yelled at his friends across the street. In one fell swoop that took less than 2 minutes this little critter destroyed a new tradition. It was that event that made me stop "honoring" this holiday. After much reflection there is no doubt this is one of the dumbest things I've ever done.

Anyone else lost interest? This is an age when people have to take their children to the mall and ONLY homes of people they know in order to keep them safe. Is it just me? Or do others agree?

Note: In case someone shows up that is family or friend, just shout out. Remember, the windows will be open. I'll be at the computer playing Guild Wars with the headphones on; one ear exposed. And eating candy.

"There are nights when the wolves are silent and only the moon howls."
~George Carlin

No comments: