Ramblings, opinions, and general meanderings from the Deep South

Saturday, October 18, 2008

Bye Bye Google Ads. I Fart At Thee and Thy Forced Sidebar

Try Firefox with CustomizeGoogle. You'll like it better!

Yesterday my displeasure with Google was vented for taking up space on my desktop. Let me clear something up. This concerns iGoogle not the regular Google page. The unwanted sidebar also migrated into GMail which is REALLY annoying. There was an edit at the bottom of the post about being able to rid you computer of Google ads and tracking. I promised a link and here it is; Customize Google. You can also click on the graphic above. This a FIREFOX ONLY extension and if someone uses IE or Opera and knows of such a link please let me know.

This small download does wonderful things and gives you great versatility in using Google. I had trouble finding the actual download. It is in a green box in the top right corner of the page. Duh! Since Google is acting as Hitler did with Poland in WWII, it is my right to strike back as did the Allies. One thing you can count on is that someone will find a way to rid us of this ridiculous clutter forced on us by Google. In the meantime you can really block their ads in many many areas. Be sure and watch the short video that tells you how to use it. It took me about 3 minutes to watch it, download the program and start using it. Small download and very easy to use. Piece of cake.

My anger has subsided to a degree. This is like fighting with a life long friend. I like Google. Before you flame me I am aware that flip-flopping has been rampant the past few days. If they let me put the tabs on my iGoogle page back at the top where they belong, I'll gladly unblock their ads. AdSense by Google is now deleted too. This small bruhaha bears watching methinks. Many people are really mad and believe this is a FUBAR that will push people away from Google. Check out some of the Google Groups. Ironic isn't it? But hey, my daughter likes this new style, LOL. That's enough to make me reconsider...at least for a while.

OK, K. I feel better now. Or is that my morning meds kicking in!?!?

"There's a bit of magic in everything, and some loss to even things out."
~Lou Reed

No comments: