Ramblings, opinions, and general meanderings from the Deep South

Thursday, August 28, 2008

Join the Band

Sometimes I get completely bowled over by some of the beauty that blesses life. Now I've a feeling not everyone will appreciate this unique offering of music as a whole. But I bet most everyone will find something on this album they like...a lot. It's co-produced by fellow Mississippian Mac McAnally who is a Belmont native. BTW, Belmont is in Tishomingo County. If you've come visiting here at the beach house postings down through the years then you know I absolutely love the musical group Little Feat. Gosh what a legend, what talent. And it's no secret I am one of the first Parrotheads ever to exist on the planet. Parrotheads are not readily describable, but we like casual...a lot. Jimmy Buffett is the driving force behind Parrotheadism. His Shrimpboat studio was the scene of a lot of this music.

At first I thought it might be a tribute album. Not really. They even do songs by other musicians. There are several Little Feat tunes, true, but they are spun by the artist that is contributing. Dave Matthews does a wonderful job with Fat Man in the Bathtub, yet is not busy trying to imitate Lowell George. Lowell passed from this earth many years ago and I consider it a privilege that I saw him play during Little Feat's tour that coincided with the release of their Waiting for Columbus album. No doubt this is one of my all time favorite top 5 albums! I could write a book about that experience. And hey, it was during the Purple Haze years. Still, I was lucid enough to enjoy great God given talent. In fact, this may have been the beginning of the end of my Purple Haze years. Thank the Good Lord.

Taste in music is eclectic at the beach house. Love old rock, the blues is awesome, Celtic Woman blows me slap dab away and sometimes I just gotta have some Mozart. Jimmy Buffett I find to be a legendary songwriter and storyteller. He also has a great voice when it comes to many forms of music, especially ballads. His participation in this Join the Band project makes it even better. I could go on and on about all this, but must end my praise and astonishment. If you like any of the artists included in the above "album flyer" you may want to buy this offering. If you are a Little Feat fan, I definitely recommend this CD. What a wonderful compilation. From one Big Brother Rat to another, Sail On and find your Spanish Moon.

Thanks Beagle for the tip...a lot!

"Music is the wine that fills the cup of silence."
~Robert Fripp

No comments: