Ramblings, opinions, and general meanderings from the Deep South

Wednesday, April 02, 2008

VA Positive and Negative


Trying to complete a survey about treatment at the VA clinic. Locally, everything is good and it is a relief to know that I am being aided by fellow Mississippians. My weight worries me because of the constant up and down. Other than that they are always polite, helpful and efficient. It seems a good place because everyone is upbeat and you see people smiling a lot. This is VERY reassuring to someone that has basically had nothing but bad experiences with the damned government. Two years in Vietnam? Why? Oh well, wish I didn't have to drive the 100 miles or so round trip. It sure beats the hell out of going to Memphis, TN, VA hospital.

If I ever require treatment that will send me to the Memphis VA again, just let me die. This place is straight out of hell. It stinks, the bathrooms are filthy, the people are some of the rudest I've ever met (this bunch doesn't know how to smile), parking is horrendous, and it seems like an unsanitary, unsafe place. Look at the picture. It looks like a prison. When talking to the bozo idiot Dr. Beavers on my last visit up there, he was cruel and despicable beyond belief. I'd really like to run into this bald headed jerk and have him talk to me that way again. He might need care.

Memphis, in general, sucks. Crime rate is high, I WON'T stay in the area after dark, you never see policemen, the traffic is worse than Tokyo (really, really bad traffic) and the whole area seems like a war zone. If you live there and like that idiot mayor that's your business. I plan on never going back to the VA located there or the city period.

Needless to say Dr. James Monroe, Kathy Evans and the rest of their staff at the Smithville clinic will get kudos and positive feedback in this survey. There will also be a letter attached about my Memphis experience. I still talk to several Vietnam buddies across the country. Apparently our past efforts to serve the country doesn't mean a damn thing because 95% report bad experiences with the larger facilities. And most say that Memphis has the worst reputation of all. Venting done.

"The Framers of the Bill of Rights did not purport to "create" rights. Rather, they designed the Bill of Rights to prohibit our Government from infringing rights and liberties presumed to be preexisting."
~Justice William J. Brennan, 1982

No comments: