Ramblings, opinions, and general meanderings from the Deep South

Sunday, April 16, 2006

And a Small Child Will Lead Them

Today, God has blessed me. Oh it's certainly not the first time. Through His Grace I have led a blessed life. Today is special though. It's no secret that I am a geeky, techno kind of person. Years ago I started piecing together an ample home theater system. Just a while ago I realized why this has been important to me.

All my life I've been connected to C.S. Lewis and John Tolkien (they were close friends). My father was such a fan of Mr. Lewis, especially his works concerning Christianity. Fortunately, he also wrote three interconnected Sci-Fi pieces sometimes referred to as the Ransom Trilogy. This introduced me to a world of people believing in right is might and that going towards the dark side is bad juju. But, back to today.

The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe is the first of the seven chronicles of Narnia. This is a fantasy world that has fawns, talking beavers, centaurs, meanass wolves, orcish bad guys and one very evil witch. Four children enter this world and their attitudes and family bonds are tied to the realm of good and evil. If you read these books when younger you might want to get them out again.

The movie is well, AWESOME!!!! Truly there is magic here. It's almost certain Clive Staples would be very proud of this rendering of his story. The complete aura of the whole tale is well represented and the special effects are gorgeous. This is NOT a movie for very small children. There are battles, war, and death so use the noodle and review the movie before you introduce it to your children. I just thank the Good Lord that both of my daughters were turned on to Narnia. Their lives have been touched by Aslan, Peter, Mr. Tumnus and the rest.

My emotional makeup was thoroughly tested. Yes, it is allegory. Yes it is about sacrifice and grace. As I watched my heart laughed, I wept and was chilled right to the marrow. If you are Christian it will suprise me if you don't like this masterpiece. What a wonderful way to spend Easter afternoon. I've come away a better man. Daughters of mine, your spirits soar like little Lucy. Thank you God, for everything.

"Reason is the natural order of truth; but imagination is the organ of meaning."
C. S. Lewis
-

No comments: