Ramblings, opinions, and general meanderings from the Deep South

Monday, March 08, 2004

Doin' the defense shuffle (and some whining)

If you are using a telco modem that uploads at slower than 24k forget downloading the service pack 4 windows update for windows 2000. It won't work. I've tried this several times and usually end up unhooking the PC and taking it somewhere that has DSL or COMCAST. Then it will update like a charm. Sitting here at 4:30am on purpose because I think traffic will be minimal and watching this thing sign on at anywhere from 16.8 to 21.6 after numerous attempts is frustrating. No use complaining really. I've put my faith in my internet service provider so I'll make an effort to stop whining about it. C'mon two-way!

Chris, from Memphis, sent an email inquiring about Ad-Aware and Spybot S&D. He wants to know, "Why both?" While it's true that Ad-Aware does pick up most all spyware/adware/dungware Spybot S&D does something that strikes me as really important. It lets me know how many times resident applications present a call to upload to the internet. Watch the results of a scan and it may amaze you at all the different things wanting to 'report in'. Microsoft has a number of applications that constantly want to talk to something over the internet as do others. Hey, I don't care what Mr. Gates knows about me, but damn it all, ask my permission!! The XP machine goes really nuts reporting in. Can we say authentication code jitters? Wish Bill Gates had never met Darth Jobs!

I constantly monitor outgoing with ZoneAlarm, the free version. It takes a while to train this program and some people become frustrated with it. Believe me, bear with it and learn to use it. It's a good defense. The Addams Family would be proud of this paragraph.

Well Monday started early. Frustration has the stress level up so I can save money on coffee this morning, LOL. Patience is truly a virtue. Does anyone know the significance of the number 853? It has to do with a writer born in Columbus, Mississippi. Let me know...

"Evil begets evil. Shooting it only makes it stronger."
-Father Cornelius, The Fifth Element

No comments: