Ramblings, opinions, and general meanderings from the Deep South

Wednesday, March 10, 2004

A bit worried

Malignant hypertension, "a particularly severe form of high blood pressure, is a hypertensive emergency. Blood pressure is at least 210/120 mm Hg. It occurs in only about 1 of 200 people who have high blood pressure. However, it is several times more common among blacks than among whites, among men than among women, and among people in lower socioeconomic groups than among those in higher socioeconomic groups. Unlike a hypertensive urgency, malignant hypertension may produce a variety of severe symptoms. If untreated, malignant hypertension usually leads to death in 3 to 6 months."

If you had such a problem and read the above paragraph, would you be concerned? I am. Mine was exactly 210 over 120 two days ago. I am now taking medication to correct this problem. It's my own fault. I should have been to the doctor before now. Making appointments and then cancelling is a thing of the past. Damn somebody else's petty reasons for not going, my life is in jeopardy. I am regrouping, rethinking, realigning, reacting. Let me tell you brothers and sisters in the words of Little Feat - "ain't had enough fun."

"Try to find your deepest issue in every confusion, and abide by that."
-D. H. Lawrence, Selected Essays

No comments: