Ramblings, opinions, and general meanderings from the Deep South

Thursday, September 20, 2007

Windows, Pane or Pain?



If you are having problems with Windows Vista, you can share. Profanity is permitted and almost necessary. I said almost. At the risk of making a few mad, let me say that this operating system can drive one nuts! Yes, there are some of you that seem to have a wonderful experience and think it's great, but I will be so glad when they do the same thing with Vista as was done with XP; beta test it on the consuming public for 4 or 5 years and finally produce a stable operating system. Of course they'll be slapping us with something new that we'll have to purchase because they choose to not update previous versions.

Chances are no proprietary software is running on those personal PCs using this "new" operating system. It doesn't like QuickBooks nor any program that seems to crunch numbers. It is NOT happy with a lot of devices especially those that deal with images. It's too busy snooping around trying to see what we are doing so it can report into Bozo Ballmer and his Gestapo. Still if you are buying a new PC I recommend Home Premium or above, Home Basic is worthless. Buy XP Home instead. It's better. Good Lord, don't even upgrade a working XP machine. Leave well enough alone. Well, put some more RAM in it, but don't change operating systems, especially if you have been doing the Windows Updates.

If you disagree with me, please realize you are in the minority. I know of no single person that is truly happy with Vista in the workplace. BTW, why does it make some people so mad because I don't agree with them that this is a wonderful program? Why, why, why? Anyway, during the next few days I'll be re-installing Vista Ultimate and changing some hardware at the beach house. Maybe this time things will be different. Certainly hope so. Any tips or tricks you want to pass on? I will wipe the drives and start over completely, carefully taking my time and using my XP laptop to check if problems arise.

"I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody."
~Bill Cosby

No comments: