Ramblings, opinions, and general meanderings from the Deep South

Friday, December 15, 2006

Gaelic Boogie

Just watched Celtic Woman, A new Journey again. What a glorious celebration of music. This is what it's all about. The blend of classic Irish tunes and modern songs gives these women a chance to bless us with their extraordinary talent. They are more animated in this new show and the sound quality is awesome.

Lisa Kelly just melts me. I think she could sing anything and look gorgeous while doing it wearing just a flour sack. They are all pretty and talented. The new member, Hayley Westenra, sang Scarborough Fair and this haunting rendition left tears in my eyes. Mairead kept the crowd up tempo with tremendous violin. She's so cute and can't seem to stand still while playing.

Had a fellow tech comment on my opinion that rap is NOT music and highly disagreed. Well, each to their own. If you like vulgar, monotone, sometimes hate inspiring, most time grammatically incorrect loud cacophany then have at it. Cowboy Troy is okay and I can tolerate the Hammer. DON'T bring that other vulgar, negative garbage to the beach house.

Back in the day I did play keyboards in a rock band while attending college. Was also the lead singer, believe it or not, lol. I know how to read music and can recognize several classical composers just by listening to their style. There were several years of piano lessons and musical theory. My brother has been a professional musician all his adult life. He doesn't like rap either.

Bruce Willis said it best in The Last Boy Scout. He'd been shot and Damon Wayans asked if he was hurting. Bruce replied something like, "If you want to see me really hurt, just play some rap music." And hey, I wasn't real crazy about punk rock. Disco wasn't a favorite either. But there were a few good disco tunes and a few okay punk tunes. Haven't heard the equivalent in rap.

It's late, my 2nd Flexiril of the day is kicking in and it is time to rest. Later.

“I hate rap music, which to me sounds like a bunch of angry men shouting, possibly because the person who was supposed to provide them with a melody never showed up”
-Dave Barry

No comments: