Ramblings, opinions, and general meanderings from the Deep South

Thursday, September 30, 2004

The sucking electrical monopoly dance

Tombigbee Valley Electric Corp. supplies electricity to our area. During the last cycle of 34 days I reduced my electric bill to $55.00 and was proud of my efforts to turn off different items. I also installed a different AC unit and did not run it unless absolutely necessary. So when that bill arrived I felt like my switching off approach was working. Therefore, the switching off has continued. Needless to say my horror upon opening a bill for a period of 4 less days at a total of over $200.00 knocked me to the floor. I live in a very small house and am not here most of the day. I've never had a $200.00 electric bill. That's 4 times the last cycle and during the past few months weather has been extremely mild. I haven't called them for fear that I may become disgusted. Something has to be done and I may write a letter and demand a reply just to see if they even give a damn. Just wish that there was an alternative power source. This is beyond absurd.

Anyone have any ideas or advice?

"When angry, count four; when very angry, swear."
-Mark Twain, Pudd'nhead Wilson, 1894

No comments: