Ramblings, opinions, and general meanderings from the Deep South

Friday, September 10, 2004

Now where is my asbestos suit?

Let's set the record straight. Bill Gates is a dude I admire in many ways. It is my opinion that he saved the world from Steve Jobs. His ability to license product and get it distributed played a major part in the affordability of the home PC. If this had been left to Steve Jobs we'd all be working on $5000.00 Apples and technology would be 10 years behind. Hence, not many of us would own personal PCs and I would be involved in another line of work.

You can argue until you are blue in the face and I will still sit in front of this dual processor, 1 gig of RAM, SCSI drive PC with a 21" CRT and kickass Logitech speakers when I need to do something that requires stability. This machine runs Windows 2000 Pro and it is my choice of Windows operating systems. Just behind me is a Windows 2000 Server machine that is RAID 1 and has a Netserver cabinet RAID 5 array with 8 10,000 spin SCSI drives. Next to it is a PC running XP Pro. Also, there is a machine running XP Home and a Windows 98SE box on my workbench. I will NOT allow a Windows ME machine on my network. I also have a PC dedicated to Linux and one that is FreeBSD. Yes, this is serious business with me.

Bottom line? I don't especially care for XP. How many updates have they issued for this operating system? Okay, after finding that out how many updates have they issued for Windows 2000? Stability? Really? Hell, if I want stability I'll run Linux or FreeBSD. Restarting the PC? If you don't reboot your Windows PC no matter what flavor then you are asking for trouble. There is an exception. Windows 2000 Server rocks!

Also, there's the IE versus Mozilla issue. No, I am not endorsing doing away with Internet Explorer!!! And don't think for a second I will put very much trust in ANYTHING that is owned by AOL. Mozilla is an AOL property. Twist it however you want, but the fact remains that AOL is the funds behind the dot org at the end of Mozilla. Anyway, Microsoft went the the whole month of July in 2004 knowing there was a security flaw in Internet Explorer and basically told every Windows user in the world to take a flying leap and ignored the problem. Well, I jumped. I've looked at many browsers and decided to use Mozilla which is nothing more than a worked over Netscape application. I still use Internet Explorer on occasion and will probably gravitate back to it. If Mozilla did not have the connection with AOL I might have a different opinion.

So there it is in 'black and white'. I like Windows, Bill Gates, and the ability to choose that which suits my needs. I don't like security flaws, Steve Jobs and AOL. So do what you want with Service Pack 2 and run XP or use an Apple if that is your desire. My faith is in Windows 2000 Pro. Hopefully Longhorn will be a great improvement. We'll see, won't we?

"How wonderful that we have met with a paradox. Now we have some hope of making progress."
-Niels Bohr



No comments: