Ramblings, opinions, and general meanderings from the Deep South

Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Good-bye Floppy

Floppy disks? Sony is the company that still makes them. That stops in March 2011. With the advent of larger media (jump drives, small external drives, etc.) the demand for floppies is just not there. So if you haven't made the transition it's time to start phasing out these drives and data on floppy media. Besides, a 2 gig jump drive costs less than an average size box of floppy disks. The jump drives hold wayyyyy more data and are mega times faster.

For all you "Crackberry" fans: RIM is releasing several new versions of the Blackberry that will have a smaller form factor. Hey, they are usually good phones and a texting dream. I'll stick with my Motorola RAZR V9x. Texting is NOT my thing. Sorry to be a Luddite, but it's hard enough to even dial a number with fat fingertips. Read more about the new offerings from RIM at InformationWeek

McAfee will cover customers' repair costs associated with their faulty update. Just happened last week. The reimbursement is for individual consumers. A similar plan has not been formulated for business customers. IMHO, McAfee should repay everyone that has bought any of their products and close their doors permanently. A far better solution is free to individuals. Take a look at AVG Free.

"Technology can be a wonderful boon to humankind, but sometimes we abuse it in ways that prevent us from really participating in life. For example, I have a BlackBerry phone. My original thinking was that this would free me from my computer and allow me to stay connected. Yes, it does allow me to stay connected electronically, but it also makes me disconnected from what I should really be doing—being present."
~Shapiro

1 comment:

beagle said...

i remember we used to use floppies in class when i was in college....now it is all usb drives i bet!