Ramblings, opinions, and general meanderings from the Deep South

Thursday, April 08, 2010

Facing Facebook

Facebook was tried for a few weeks and is no longer at the beach house. People weren't very friendly, contacts showed up that I didn't know (finally learned to stop that), and people are not very willing to help. As a matter of fact if you like to insult people or be insulted this may be the ideal place for you on the internet. All in all, an unpleasant experience.

Before you start trying to raise a ruckus with me for my opinion please realize this is just one man's opinion. If it interests you by all means try it. You may like it. I won't try myspace either. They keep emailing me for some reason and it may be time to get in touch with one of their higher muckety-mucks and have this stopped. Better yet, next time I get one of their emails it'll be marked as spam and that will solve that problem.

It's apparent I am not a social networking person. Tried Twitter and didn't like it either. Some folks get into all this, but I have grown old and am too much of a curmudgeon to really enjoy these things. Even stopped Facebook for a few days, tried it again and was insulted several times almost immediately. Enough. I try to post here on a daily basis and my outlet for social networking is Guild Wars. We even voice talk in real time by using Teamspeak. Yes, if you interact in GW with other groups (PUGS) then people can be hateful. I stick with my guildmates or go it alone most of the time so this is avoided.

Really, you don't need to tell me how wonderful you find Facebook and insult me further. But, my money says you will anyway. Guess what? It's my life and you have no control. Hell, I barely do! Good luck to all the Facebookers.

"It's not a slam at you when people are rude - it's a slam at the people they've met before."
~F. Scott Fitzgerald

EDIT: PUGS = Pick Up Groups, where you randomly join a party of live people that are trying to accomplish the same task.

2 comments:

Ernest Suggins said...

Oughta trie dat Myfaceplacebookspace. They's a buncha friendly folks on their that'll just amaze ya at how fur they will go just worry the piss outta you.
Theyz so gud at callin ya nams and tolden U whut you done did rong..
I could just go on for hours.......

beagle said...

I wondered where you went. Always good to try something and see if you like it or not! :)