Ramblings, opinions, and general meanderings from the Deep South

Friday, January 20, 2006

Ride Sally Ride

Back in the day when pterodactyls roamed the earth Ford invented the Mustang. Mr. Wilson Pickett came out with a song titled Mustang Sally. How many thousands of times have I heard this wonderful tune that brings back very fond memories? In the 1991 movie The Commitments this song was central to the plot. If you like music you'll like this movie. Then there was Sandra Bullock's famous walk in Miss Congeniality that premiered in 2000. Lordy Lordy, that blue dress was just awesome and her transformation from tomboy Gracie Hart to beauty queen happened in those few magic seconds. In the background Mustang Sally played loud and clear.

I've always wanted a Mustang. This song inspired me not only about a car, but about life in general. An average guy could own a neat car and date a pretty girl. Wow, what a concept. Mr. Pickett not only touched my life with this tune, but with other great songs. In the Midnight Hour, Funky Broadway and Land of a 1000 Dances come to mind. Wish I had written him and thanked him for the sharing of his genius. He passed away yesterday. My heart goes out to his family and he will be missed. You can read further at Rolling Stone. This man was larger than life. He has inspired several generations of musicians. I like to think I am one of those fortunate people.

One day that Mustang may sit in the driveway. Thank you Wilson, for helping me realize dreams and thank you for music that keeps me dreaming.

"Music is the wine that fills the cup of silence."
-Robert Fripp

No comments: