Ramblings, opinions, and general meanderings from the Deep South

Wednesday, January 25, 2006

Life's Just a Tire Swing

Darla emailed asking, "What music do you like?" My immediate and initial thought was to reply Spanky & Our Gang. They were a huge group back in the days when Ford invented the Mustang and T-Rex was Mr. Big Nasty on the planet. Please forgive my sophmoric attempt at humor Darla. You have quite a lovely name. Excuse me for a moment while I comb out my Alfalfa hair.

Since I've waited for years to be asked this question, please indulge me. My musical tastes are eclectic. One of my favorites is Mozart as long as there's no singing involved. Little Feat is right at the top of the list with ol' Wolfie. Waiting for Columbus is possibly the greatest 'live' recording ever made. There is some prejudice here, because I did see this tour back when you parked your stegosaurus-mobile outside the arena. This is a classic. What a concert! I've seen the group Yes four times. Never seen Pink Floyd, but own most of their stuff. Love 'em.

Rock, Jazz, Classical, R&B, Soul, Blues, progressive Christian, and some country are also heard around the beach house. Saw Marty Stuart on late TV last night and he was awesome. Dude can play a mandolin. I've even written a country song called She Won't Yahoo Anymore. For those interested the lyrics can be found at SouthernPhried. The one artist that stands out when we have gatherings is, of course, Jimmy Buffett. What a library! His music automatically drops my blood pressure by being soothing and then sends it back up because I constantly crave Cheeseburgers in Paradise. Yes, I am a PARROTHEAD! Got the license tag on the front of the El Camino to prove it!

Lately, jazz is the prevelant background. Love saxophone. Mindi Abair absolutely blows me away! She plays awesome sax, keyboards and and has a soft, gentle voice that is like honeydew vine water. Another great saxophonist comes to us by way of Holland. Her name is Candy Dulfer. All I can say is WOW, WOW. My favorite jazz master, sax player is David Sanborn. He is downright awesome. Hey, I can go on and on. The genius of Bob James would take up pages as would my take on the great Louis "Satchmo" Armstrong.

Darla, thanks for a great question! I must stop now before this becomes a book. Work calls. Put some melody in your ears today. It'll help.

"Music, when soft voices die
Vibrates in the memory"

-Percy Bysshe Shelley

No comments: