Ramblings, opinions, and general meanderings from the Deep South

Sunday, April 27, 2003

It is hard to decide whether I dislike telemarketers, spammers or popups worse. I think spammers. I received an email concerning another site at the Cybersouth email address from someone at a Yahoo address. Now I am being spammed. I liked Yahoo at one time the way I now like Google. Then, they became proponents of spam. I simply put these unsolicited mailers in block senders. BTW, I have found a way to stop receiving mail at Yahoo and still use messenger. You go into mail options, then filters, create a filter by clicking on the more arrow and change the subject filter to 'does not contain' instead of 'contain' and input some wild phrase like, "liberals are purplepeople eaters." Now, unless the subject line contains the words "liberals are purplepeople eaters" your email will be bounced. Yahoo Messenger will now be available without that worrisome, spammed out Yahoo Mail. I also use an outdated Popup stopper called Popup Killer. Support ceased in March of last year , but it works and I've had no problems with it. If you download Popup Stopper, beware. I have heard some issues. Others swear by it. The poor telemarketers need to visit the washingtonpost or womencentral site and read Miss Manners. I just hang up on them after telling them to put me on their nocall list. If they argue with me I will become irritated and explain exactly how I feel about their lineage.

Segue. When I recommend things like using antivirus software, doing updates on windows operating systems, defragmenting on a regular basis, running scan disk, please understand that every computer is different. If you read the Windows Update 'more' tabs, you may decide to skip one. Yesterday I was using my Windows 98 machine and noticed there were a lot of updates (non-critical) I haven't done. The majority of these were language thangys, but I checked on Media Player 9. After reading the system requirements I have found that my lowly 200mmx processor will not meet the current standards. Hence, no Media Player 9 for the Windows 98 machine. So, please be careful doing all downloads.

Free BSD did not get installed this weekend. It will probably be towards the end of next month now. My PDA tells me I won't have time unless I finish my second job early while on vacation! I apologize to Jim because he had planned on assisting and I sorta' ducked out yesterday. But, I am learning more about Linux everyday and like it a lot. May even dual boot it on my laptop.

Cybersouth@mail.com

Cybersouth@mail.com

That's the email addy and it resides in the top left corner of this blog. Use it! Even though my days are busy I will always try and take time to answer anyone and love when people write to tell me I am right/wrong or give me wonderful tips. I stay in this cyber-world a lot and this is quickly becoming my primary email. I am fairly thick-skinned and can take criticism. I believe in manners and am trying to resist the use of profanity in here. We all tend to be irritable and grouchy sometimes, but should be positive and nice the vast majority of the time. Being polite goes a long way in this world. Pay someone a compliment today. Try it, you'll like it.

.

No comments: