Ramblings, opinions, and general meanderings from the Deep South

Friday, April 25, 2003

I posted early this morning and it has mysteriously disappeared into the etheric so please understand redundancy if it decides to show up. Don, a fellow windows user has had a problem with runtime errors when trying to download from the Windows Update site. I have tried to send 4 machines today to Windows Update and they all seem to be sorta' timing out. So Don, when you read this, please understand that this may be the problem and I researched this in Microsoft's Knowledge Base using the error code you gave me and it resolved the problem by turning off script debugging. Send me another email address and I'll relay all I've found to you personally. The emaill addy I have listed for you is being rejected by 3 different email servers. So, please email me again, I have info for u. BTW, Don is running 98SE if anyone has experienced similar problems.

Anyone knowing the whereabouts of diagnostic software for windows machines, please contact me. Another 'tech in arms' , Chris from Booneville and I have been going over this for a day or so. AnalogX has some really nifty stuff and is a well established site. Mike Lin at http://www.mlin.net has really put together some awesome stuff and uses very little space to accomplish great tweaks. His Start Up Control Panel is awesome as is Seesaw for dual processor machines. We realize these are just a few and would like to hear more on the subject.

Tomorrow I will install Fre BSD 4.8 if I finish my other dinosaur machine. I want only Free BSD on this unit and it's mandatory that I run one machine with windows 98 due to the widespread use of this os. Free BSD is going on a pentium 200mmx that has 96 megs o ram and an 8 gig hard drive. This should be an awesome machine for this os. I did purchase a flat screen CRT Mitsubishi for this system, expecting to be in front of it a lot! So if u r mid-fi geeky hang on to those old puters and run linux or bsd; they make great mail and web servers for a local network!! And are just downright fun after a day at the grind wif Mr Gates various flavors of winders.

No comments: