Ramblings, opinions, and general meanderings from the Deep South

Tuesday, May 18, 2004

PeoplePC? Not at the Beach House

Up early working on a Dell PC that came in running Windows XP with 128 megs of DDR RAM. Does this give you a clue as to why I don't like Dell? Hey, we improved it adding 256 megs and it's a different machine. Of course every piece of spyware known to man, several nasty virii, and some weird apps running in the background made this machine splash over into virtual memory even at the initial screen. No updates had been done, critical or otherwise. To be fair, this computer resides in an extremely rural area and the connect speed is about as bad as it gets.

One thing I've found out in dealing with this unit is that PeoplePC has about as much respect as AOL in geekdom. Several boards I use had members spitting fire when I mentioned PeoplePC. It is a very crude interface. It immediately jumps on the browser like AOL and I haven't found a way to remove the annoying toolbar, yet. Don't try renaming the bartshel.exe file; it doesn't work anymore. I don't work on AOL machines and think that PeoplePC may get the same treatment. Folks, don't fall pray to the mumbojumbo of these grifters - use your local ISPs. Your connection speed is dominated by the condition of your phone lines and not some voodoo speed up thangy offered by these liars. Even better, get broadband cable or DSL. Save headache time.

Have to make a journey to the doctor in a few hours. And I need my ugly sleep. Update my fellow geeklings and have a most casual day.

"AOL is like the cockroach left after the nuclear bomb hits. They know how to survive."
-Jan Horsfall, VP of marketing for Lycos

No comments: