Ramblings, opinions, and general meanderings from the Deep South

Wednesday, February 13, 2008

There's Voodoo in the Vibes


So I went to bed last night assured that Windows Update would take care of problems listed on Patch Tuesday. This morning I arose and checked to see if there were any leftovers and sure enough, there sat "important" update #KB937287. Forever curious about what Microsoft installs on my machine, I started an internet journey that became frustrating. First, I ALWAYS use Firefox and tried several times to reach Windows Update before switching to Internet Explorer 7. Well, DUH! I arrived at the site and it redirected me to the Control Panel entry on my machine. Not to be bamboozled by 'Nutjob Ballmer and the WGA gang' (sounds like a sissy punk rock group, don't ya think?) I persisted in finding an explanation as to what exactly this #KB937287 intended to do to my PC. Since Microsoft wouldn't give up the information readily I switched back to Firefox, Googled the number and found my answer at InfoWorld. It's some pre-Vista SP1 thing. No big deal. BTW, thanks InforWorld for the explanation.

Why has Microsoft started this mumbo jumbo about updates? Shucks, in the past all you had to do was click on the update number and an explanation showed up. Now it seems they are hiding something. Like we don't know they spy on us?!?!?!?? Hell, they even admit that in the EULA you accept when installing Windows. If you don't take measures to stop them, they will download almost every document you originate in Microsoft Office. They are called MRUs (Most Recently Used documents). Downright goofy I say. I really don't care if they see the whole content of my computer. There's nothing to hide because there's nothing important enough to hide. If I needed to hide stuff Windows would certainly NOT be the operating system of choice. Don't get me wrong, Windows is still great and Vista is improving all the time. Actually, if your hardware can stand it now is a good time to install Vista. Remember, Premium and above; Home Basic sucks. Anyway, this is a planet driven by computers running Windows. Ahem! We all check that box accepting the End User License Agreement and go about our business.

Please Windows Nazis, you really won't give me new information if you decide to "flame on." And Apple Users, don't sit with that smug look on your face. You need to look at the Windows Updates. Since Microsoft Office for Apple outsells all other Apple software combined, you might need to update that overpriced, slowass, 2 year old technology machine. K, my Lewis Black-like fit is over. Later.

"But I'm not gonna let it bother me tonight
I'm not gonna let it bother me tonight
The world is in an uproar and I see no end in sight
But I won't let it bother me tonight!"

~Atlanta Rhythm Section

No comments: