Ramblings, opinions, and general meanderings from the Deep South

Thursday, November 01, 2007

About Things Technical

Just a plain Southern boy here. Shucks, I have an occasional visit from a possum named Arnold (opossumus germanicus austriabodicus). He's even got a 'Mom' tattoo on his arm. You know you're southern when naming the neighborhood possum becomes a way of life. My I's are flattened and the Mississippi drawl is unmistakable. Yes, Southern and absolutely love it. My burial will be in Tishomingo County between my father and grandfather if the Good Lord is willin', complete with a Veteran's grave marker and a wake afterwards. Can't promise this...I won't be here.

I have many friends from many areas of many races and various religious preferences. Even though I am a student of that Yankee War of Aggression there are no ill feelings towards those that are from the North and have found their way to this bit of paradise on earth. One of my favorite writers, Dave Barry, was born in New York and has made a wonderful transition to Miami and that's pretty far south! Believe it or not there are even a few Democrats I call friends. God in heaven knows I don't comprehend their logic at times, but hey, many is the time good sense is not in use at the beach house.

My ability to communicate is average. After being in Southeast Asia for a LONG 2 years performing military service, understanding the broken English used by so called tech helpers on the phone nowadays when resolving computer issues can be understood about every 20th try. Those jobs need to be handled by someone in THIS country that really wants to work and has nice polite manners plus a bushel of patience.

People talk to me. I talk to them. For some reason the line at the local grocery store seems to be a place of conversation. People just start talking. Outside of the time the lady threatened to kill me because I wouldn't let her hit her bleeding 5 year son again and again, the trip to the market is always a source of pleasure. BTW, that altercation happened in Memphis, TN., the worst city in the country. You can look at my lardass and tell I like the trip to the grocer. But I sure stay out of the food markets in Memphis now. Well, truth be known, Memphis is avoided period. Huh! Bunch of El Camino stealing sonuvabitches I tell ya!

Why am I rambling? My friend Creek Dave occasionally waves his hands and says, "You're doing it again." He has no problem stopping me in mid-sentence and doesn't worry about my feelings. Like several other people he is part of my extended family. Brother Neal barks, "Slow down." LOL. So, I stop talking in my southern version of binary and front side bus and return to using the language of Faulkner, Williams, Welty and Mitchell. All of this is a preface to this next link; Perspective: How to be a tech blowhard. Lordy, if you ever feel I am approaching this level of irritation tell me to shut the hell up! My knowledge of tech vocabulary borders on dangerous. It's an ongoing process and I love the stuff. But I did not attend MIT. Anyway, this is a good article and Michael Kanellos is an entertaining writer. Check it, if'n you have a mind to...

"Not all chemicals are bad. Without chemicals such as hydrogen and oxygen, for example, there would be no way to make water, a vital ingredient in beer."
~Dave Barry

No comments: