Ramblings, opinions, and general meanderings from the Deep South

Saturday, November 11, 2006

Recollection of Some Sobering Moments

Today is Veterans Day. This holiday was originally meant to honor Armistice Day and the Veterans of WW1. In 1954 President Eisenhower signed a bill changing the name in order to honor veterans of ALL American wars.

Being a veteran of the Vietnam War, this holiday is most precious. My 2 years over there and blood left on the ground are memories that linger. The most devastating part of this experience was the treatment of the troops during this conflict and the national attitude upon return. It wasn't good at the time...

During the past several years two young people found out about my experiences and said thank you. Both times I came home and cried. And I thanked God my name was not on that big black wall. Those that honor this holiday by closing business or displaying the Flag on Monday have my respect.

Say a prayer for our troops today. They are the most wonderful people going in harm's way so that we can live free. God bless all of you.

"My God! How little do my countrymen know what precious blessings they are in possession of, and which no other people on earth enjoy!"
-Thomas Jefferson

No comments: