Ramblings, opinions, and general meanderings from the Deep South

Sunday, November 20, 2005

There is No Snooze Button on a Possum

Yesterday was spent working on PCs. All day. By the time Saturday night rolled around I was in bed and looking forward to some much needed sleep. The knowledge that many things have to be accomplished today made for early retirement. Sure enough I went out like a light while watching the Saturday night PBS British sitcoms. Sometime around the witching hour I was slowly awakened due to a strange sound; bump, bump, blam, bump. Then the mind flash hit me - why would anyone steal the lead sled? It sits right outside the window! After arming myself I peeked through the blinds and just outside the window was Arnold, opossumus germanicus austriabodicus, pulling at a sack of garbage against the fence.

Okay, possums will eat most anything. They are scavengers and not very clean animals. But what Arnold was doing with this sack of refuse is beyond me. It was from cleaning out the garage and nothing even close to edible was around. I mean, it's understandable when he tried to turn over the green dumpster thangy, but why mess with a bunch of old car parts, dryer lint, out of date manuals, et cetera? Believe it or not the rake had been in use a few days ago and was propped against the house. It took 5 minutes of rake prodding to run him off. As he waddled towards the oak tree I think he stopped , pointed at the 'Mom' tattoo on his arm, flipped me the bird and hissed while pointing at the El Camino.

Today I will take off the garbage before starting work. Then I'll buy one of those Club security bars for the Camino. Whew! Think it may be time to talk to herr doktor about that Ambien stuff they advertise on TV?

"The worst thing in the world is to try to sleep and not to."
-F. Scott Fitzgerald

No comments: