Ramblings, opinions, and general meanderings from the Deep South

Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Vista?

Anne wrote, "I wonder if you think it is a good idea for me to upgrade to Microsoft Vista Home Basic?" Let's see, hmmmmm, how should I answer this question? Wow, I want to really be sure I don't mislead anyone as to my true feelings about this subject. Oh the duress of it all, the absolute stress of stresses. Okay here I go, here's the answer, it's coming soon, wait just a bit more, the answer is................NO.

Why all the drama? Well, I know Anne, she's a friend, and she can appreciate a good joke. Also, she had my answer before this was published. Here's the point. Microsoft has used the consuming public as beta testers for years. The second Tuesday in each month has become known as 'patch Tuesday' in tech circles due to the monthly download of repairs for Windows XP and other things. They also mislead ALL consumers into thinking they own the software. This is simply not true. It's more like a conditional rental. If you have done all updates then your machine reports to Microsoft what you have been doing with their product. Don't believe me?

Please go to MajorGeeks look on the left and select the category Anti-spyware. Scroll down and download the free version of Lavasoft's Adaware, SE Peronsal Edition. Install the program being sure that you check two items:

Search for negligible risk entries
Search for low risk threats

In other words turn the little red circles in to yellow ones with check marks in them. Now run a scan. Be sure and check the results under every tab at the top when the scan is completed. Those MRUs you see about Internet Explorer, Office, last documents, etc., are all being sent to Microsoft. Under Microsoft's most desirable conditions you computer also reports in when it is started.

This is all the handy work of that buffoon of buffoons Steve Ballmer. And none of this is illegal. Microsoft tells you all this garbage in the EULA (End User License Agreement) to which you agreed when first installing the program. It's real simple. They are spying on you. They want to make sure you aren't running illegal copies of their product. What's the issue? Hey, I thought I bought this product and, damn it all, I want someone to ask me when they desire to invade my privacy. Tell you what: Come to the Saltillo Beach House and kick down the door and enter. You will be handed a large bowl of whupass. Someone that enters my home in such a violent way will suffer the most dire consequences. This issue is on the same level. If they'd be upfront and ask instead of hiding all this voodoo in small text it wouldn't bother me for them to see EVERYTHING I do with a computer. Just don't sneak the hell around like some kind of greasy thief in the night.

Oh yes, please let me make no mistake and upset the Windows Nazis of the world anymore than necessary. I like Windows. I think XP Pro is a GREAT operating system (still like Kubuntu Linux and FreeBSD the best). Better a Bill Gates Microsoft world than a Steve Jobs Apple one. Still, some will send emails defending both. The whole point is that Microsoft is just now smoothing out the security and operation of XP. Resist buying Vista. Hell, they have 4 or 5 versions. How do you know which one to buy?

K the soap box goes back in the garage. If you are in disagreement, please feel free to flame on in the comments. This is my story and I'm a stickin' to it.

"The wrongful intrusion into a person's private activities by other individuals or by the government. Tort law protects one's private affairs with which the public has no concern against unwarranted exploitation or publicity that causes mental suffering or humiliation to the average person. The right to be left alone is not always superior to the rights of the public and it may or may not exist or may exist to a lesser degree with regard to the life of a public figure, such as a politician or other person in whom the public has a rightful interest. The right to personal privacy is encompassed as an aspect of liberty protected against government interference by the Constitution's due process clause. Some of the personal decisions protected from unwarranted government interference include decisions relating to marriage, procreation, contraception, family relationships, child rearing, and education. 431 U.S. 678. See privacy, right of; wiretapping."
~Answers.com

No comments: