Ramblings, opinions, and general meanderings from the Deep South

Tuesday, April 19, 2005

Moneypenny, is M in?

There's a new device sitting in front of me glowing red. It's kewl. When booting this machine my long complicated password doesn't have to be used. You just place your finger on the glowing red pad and the PC boots. It's Microsoft's Fingerprint Reader. Red Dragon picked it up at Sam's for under 50 bucks. You can have multiple users and it will work on those web sites that require passwords. Only downside is it requires XP.

Running an operating system other than XP? Take a look at the Targus Defcon Authenticator. It can be found all over the web for under $50.00. Most reviews are good and this unit has two USB ports. For some strange reason they leave XP Home out of their compatible operating system list . This is probably a typo mistake. But it will work with 98, 2000, XP Pro and even ME.

Several companies are making these devices and most of the major suppliers have them in stock. Some are wayyyy too pricy. My next experiment will be to see if the device works with Firefox. Probably won't. Doesn't really matter, the ease of installation and use just for signing on makes it a worthy device. Sorta' James Bond-ish.

"My apartment was robbed and everything was replaced with exact replicas...I told my roommate and he said 'Do I know you?'"
-Steven Wright

No comments: