Ramblings, opinions, and general meanderings from the Deep South

Wednesday, September 07, 2005

Loss and Gain Concerning the Cathode Ray Tube

Maynard G. Krebs has left the building. Bob Denver passed away. Most will remember him for his roll as Gilligan, but Maynard was a hoot! He was a beatnik character on the Dobie Gillis show. Very, very old TV and also some of the funniest stuff I've seen. Way ahead of its time. I think TVLand or some network is airing it locally. Check it out. Be sure and watch the interaction between Maynard and Dobie's Dad.

There's a new TV show available for download. The name of this show is NerdTV. Yes, it's for real. It is a Robert Cringely vehicle supported by PBS. The first hour long show is an interview of an Apple dude that has seen the opensource light. Opensource, you know, that Free BSD and Linux stuff that is free to download and use. It's also VERY stable. Anyway, Andy Hertzfeld was the original MacIntosh systems programmer and he talks about his love of opensource software. Hey, I am not making all this up. No Zamboni here. This is for real. My geekmeter is off the scale.

"In general my children refuse to eat anything that hasn't danced on television."
-Erma Bombeck

EDIT: Anyone that has signed up for GMail can download and install Google Talk. This is an awesome instant messaging program. My email addy is cybersouth@gmail.com. Ad me to your list! If you need an invitation to GMail then send me your email address. I have almost 100 invitations left. Hey, 2.5gigs of web storage space is downright awesome. Believe me folks, this is the best email client in the solar system.

No comments: